16 July Reverse Martingale

Julia Goerges5 out of 7 favs won today, with one match being evens the pair at the off. The losing favs were AMG, who had been an uneasy fav anyway after Hradecka's impressive display yesterday, and Rezai, again not unexpected as it was her 8th match in 11 days. What was surprising was Patty and Agnes both progressing relatively serenely even though they have both had equally arduous recent schedules. I'm surprised the market has Agnes as such a strong fav vs the impressive Hradecka tomorrow.
Took it relatively easy today after yesterday's losses, a kind of reverse Martingale if you will, with small exposures and building up greens in running. I did mess up the Strycova match, caught out by Larsson's unexpected 3rd set rally which caused me to go all red.

I was also done by Betfair's failure to put the Goerges match in running and their subsequent decision to suspend it when they realised their mistake. I think only 4 games had been completed when they suspended and normally they would let such a match run on, only suspending if the 1st set has finished. It seems to be at the whim of whoever is on duty, with no clear consistent procedure. Those silly inconsistencies drive us punters to SEETHE. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often.

Doubtful I'll have any more bets this week. Prague kicks off at 11 UK time so I could maybe play the 1st match, but if it runs on for 2 hours then I'd be in trouble as I'd have to leave, so best avoided I think.

Next week is Bad Gastein and Portoroz, two nice little tournaments. Portoroz caught me cold a couple years ago when they changed the courts over the winter and I'd not found out in my research. It used to be very fast, one of the fastest hardcourts on the tour, but they changed it to a slow bouncy surface. So you had the likes of Errani winning instead of the Srebotniks. A very puzzling first few days it was until the penny dropped.

Looking forward to both immensely!

No comments: