Modus Operandi

The vast majority of my bets are cover to win 5% of bank, with a max stake size of 10% of bank.

These percentages may sound high to many sports bettors, who often quote 2% of bank or less per bet. But in my view a percentage figure can't be applied universally to all sports as the percentage of winning favourites, prices on offer, and hit rates vary enormously from sport to sport and from punting style to punting style. It would be obviously ridiculous to apply the same staking plan for backing 10/1 outsiders on the horses, where favs win 30% of races, to backing tennis with only 2 runners and where favs win a whopping 70%+ of matches! I've arrived at those percentages by trial and error and they suit my punting style and hit rates.

Greening up remains a vexed question. Many posters on Betfair maintain that greening up should always be done, many say never, both usually trotting out the cliches after the result is known and went in favour of their opinion! In my view the acid test is to ask "if I had no position on the event would I place the greening up bet?". Many seem oblivious that greening up is actually a bet! It seems daft to me if you've backed a player expecting her to win, and she is winning, to then back the other unless you suspect a choke or turnaround. To do so specifically just to green up seems foolish. Having said that I do tend to green up, or at least cover the stake, once the odds approach 1.05'ish (depending on what odds I'm on at) as that to me represents the odds of an injury or some other silly upset.

As well as WTA I also follow other sports and will have a bet on them from time to time, which will appear in the screenshots. These will normally be just on the big televised events, and the bets are subject to their own staking plan which varies from sport to sport.

Having outlined the plan it must be said there's only one rule in sports betting, and that is there are no rules! An infinite number of possibilites and circumstances can arise and to try and fit all of these into some sort of rigid scheme is just not logical. So any system has to be flexible. Thus there's a "special situations" exemption of a max stake 20% of bank with no reference to any cover to win, but this can only be used rarely.

No comments: